Friday, December 24, 2010

"HIGH COST OF LOVING" (12th in my series of poems)

High Cost of Loving

The cost of food is mighty high,
The price of gas a mess.
But they don’t bother me as much
As living by myself.

I had a man who loved me,
We had a very happy home.
But I couldn’t bear to be true, I guess...
I had the urge to roam.

It really wasn’t worth it,
To lose my home and ring
But I really thought he knew it--
It never meant a thing.

I took his love for granted.
And look how bad I feel
Now I have my freedom, true...
But not a love that’s real.
I made the deal and took the choice
Not thinking of the price.
And now that I’ve received the bill
I wish I had thought twice.

If I only had a chance,
I’d exchange the merchandise.
I’d be glad to give it back,
If they could refund the price.

The high cost of loving
Is more than I had planned.
The high cost of loving
Is more than I can stand.

No comments: