Friday, February 4, 2011

"HOW CAN YOU CRY FOR A SHOOTING STAR?" (13th in the series of my poems)

How Can You Cry For a Shooting Star?

The first time I ever met you
We hadn’t yet gone far.
But we were full of hopes and dreams
To someday be a star.

We had no money, had no car,
No way to get it ever.
But step by step, day by day,
We pulled it all together

Then the day we’d been praying for...
You got your biggest break.
Your greatness was discovered,
And they came and took you away from me.

Dry your eyes, I tell myself.
He hasn’t gone away so far
And besides, if you love him like you say you do,
How can you cry for a shooting star?

Years kept on rolling by...
Sometimes we kept in touch.
But being so big and oh-so-busy,
It really wasn’t much.
You kept on rising like cream on milk,
But my life just stood still.
Once in a while, you throw a crumb
Perhaps you always will.

But wipe your eyes, I say again
He hasn’t gone that far.
And if you love him like you claim you do,
How can you weep for a shooting star?

What goes up must still come down
That law of life is zen.
For the next few years, he came home,
And we grew close again.

But after all, what’s due is due...
They can’t keep a good man down.
So once again, he’s on his way,
And I’m the saddest face in town.

Okay, dry your eyes and wear a smile.
He’s blazing like the planets are.
And since you love him like you said you did,
Why would you cry for the shooting star?

No comments: