Sunday, March 25, 2012

I WAS LOST BUT NOW I'M FOUND--MY SUNGLASSES

May 18, 2008

You know how it is: you misplace something. First you retrace your steps in your head. Then you call everywhere you may have been, then you go there because you don't believe them when they said they didn't find them. You tear your car apart several times, turn your home upside down and downside up--again, dump out your purse on your bed morning and night and search every pocket on every garment you ever had! Then you get serious!

I wear prescription glasses (blended trifocals, so I'm very attached to them)! I have the kind that have the magnetic sunglasses. They're not prescription, but they only fit the glasses you buy them with, so you don't want to either lose them or break the glasses! 'Cause then you have to do something you may not want to do. Like buy some more. I'd already lost and replaced the sunglasses a few months ago, so I decided that instead to believe that they would show up. All I had to do was to hold off a few days and believe. So, I broke out the old clip-ons--which in no way fit my glasses; besides which they scratch them--and clung with faith to the fact that the other ones would show up. They took two hands to put on and take off, and still one side was shorter than the other. They were a big hassle. But I was grateful to have them--old standbys that they were.

One morning about a week or so after I first "lost" the sunglasses--Monday May 12, in fact--I was going through my usual routine in the mornings, which includes listening to a verse of the Bible, while reading and marking up my Bible--y'all call it "meditating", I think. That morning, running short on time, I glanced at the clock and saw that it was the exact time that I had to leave if I intended to make it to work on time. I had already placed my easy-access, open shoes strategically between my reading room and the front door, with an easy detour to the bathroom in-between. I put them there and I glanced at them again as I decided to turn back in there from the bath and obey God. They were still there, just as I had placed them. I had done everything that I needed to do except read my verse. Normally I try to read it first thing, but this time I hadn't. So, I was like, "Oh well, I'm just going to have to be a few minutes late. Or God will somehow make up the time for me, like He's done so many times before". I read my verse. It turned out to be a short verse, and when I finished, I looked at the clock. Six minutes had gone by. "Not bad", I said aloud. I turned, walked through the door, looked down at my shoes and my sunglasses lay fairly winking up at me, having been placed diagonally across them.

I did a double-take, then glanced at the old clip-ons on a table by the door where I had placed them with my keys. They were still there!! I looked at my shoes again, and yep! They still had sunglasses on them. I stooped down, and as I picked the glasses up, I started talking to them like an old friend and thanking my Father! He is so good!

I couldn't wait to get to the car to call somebody! It turned out to be Kim from church who answered the phone and I think I yelled the story to her all the way to work! I could hear her grinning! Glory to God, Jesus is a Friend of mine!

And no, I was not late!

No comments: